March 19, 2014
Hi all! I've got another wonderful seafood recipe for you- brought to you by my amazing assistant Sarah!
In high school some of my friends were serious fanatics of Iron Chef. I wonder if that show is even still popular? But anyways, when I was growing up -we had to duplicate the show. I made coconut shrimp (which was FAR from being gluten free). It turned out pretty great- though not nearly as wonderful as this new recipe.
Today I made a MUCH more sophisticated version, if I do say so myself. It's gluten and grain free. This particular recipe is not egg free but if you are looking for an egg free version check out The Crispy Coconut Mango Chicken. To adapt the recipe, sub in 1 pound of shrimp for the chicken and instead of baking then put the shrimp under the broiler until crispy.
Did you know that Mango tastes AMAZING with Siriacha? So good that I had to include a dipping sauce for the crispy shrimp. You can adjust the heat level to your personal preference. I personally love spice so I tend to add a lot. But, please- make it your own!
- 1 lb Shrimp, Shelled and deveined
- 2 Eggs
- 1 TBSP Water
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Starch (Potato, Tapioca or Arrowroot)
- 1/2 Coconut Flakes, unsweetened
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Over low heat, heat up a pan with a layer of oil.
- In a bowl combine wet mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine breading ingredients.
- Drop Shrimp into wet mixture and then heavily dredge in breading mixture;
- Increase heat in the pan slightly, medium-low.
- Layer in shrimp.
- Repeat until all shrimp have been coated, and placed in pan.
- They should cook fairly quickly; about 3 minutes per side.
For an egg free version, check out the Paleo Crispy Coconut Mango Recipe
When using the Crispy Coconut Mango Chicken recipes, instead of baking the shrimp, broil them on low for 2-3 minutes per side.
- 1 Cup Frozen (or Fresh) Mango
- 3/4 Cup Mayo (Regular or Vegan!)
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 8-10 Drops of Siriacha
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.