Mini Meatball Sub Cups! (Grain/Egg/Dairy/Coconut/Soy Free, Modified Paleo with 21 DSD compliant option!)
February 8, 2015
I don't often get too terribly stumped on what to make in this whole allergen free/paleo/real food arena, but whenever I do get stumped it's typically on things that make great appetizers. I don't mean stumped as I can't figure out what to make and put out that I would love to eat, but things that gluten free/real food lovers as well as people who chose to eat more "traditionally" would snack on. But I think I have found the solution with these Mini Meatball Sub Cups! Who doesn't love the flavors of a meatball sub, right?! This recipe can be made without the tomato sauce and cheese and is just as delicious, with 21 DSD modification options as well... This recipe is a WIN-WIN-WIN!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup blanched or cashew flour
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 small onion grated
- 3/4 tsp red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 178 g blanched or cashew flour
- 112 g arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs, combine well with your hands. Using a 1 tbsp size cookie scoop or just a regular measuring spoon, create 16 equally sized meatballs, rolling in between your hands.
- Place the meatballs into the hot skillet and allow to brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. They do not need to cook through as they will be put into the oven! Once browned remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the diced onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic powder and oregano and cook for an additional 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the , starch, xanthan, baking powder, salt and water until well incorporated. Fold in the cooked onions and spices.
- Liberally oil 16 standard size muffin cups and divide the dough mixture equally among them, filling each about halfway. Drop a meatball in the center of each prepared muffin cup. Place in the oven and bake for 34-38 minutes or until golden brown. If you wish you can sprinkle the cups with parmesan cheese and dunk then in pizza or pasta sauce! * If you want them to have sauce and cheese in them- after baking use a spoon or fork to pop out the meatballs- fill them with a little sauce and cheese and then place the meatballs back in. You can put them back in the oven for a few minutes until the sauce has warmed up and the cheese has melted.
If you would like to prepare this recipe in order to be 21 Day Sugar Detox compliant, replace the xanthan gum with 5 tbsp of flaxseed meal. This will cause the dough to remain a tiny bit "gooey" in the center, but still tastes equally as delicious!
If you want to add tomato sauce and/or cheese, remove the cups halfway through baking time and add the tomato sauce and/or cheese of your choice to the center of the cups and return to the oven!