October 1, 2015
Fall for most of us means curling up on the couch under a blanket and watching football with a big warm bowl of chili in your hands. Oh man, now I wish it was Sunday! Anyway... don't let the fact that this is a chicken chili fool you, this one is just as hearty as any beef chili I have ever made. The addition of sweet potato puree gives this chili a bit of silky texture sophistication and the chipotle chili powder and bacon give it a smoky kick while a bit of honey sweetens it just a bit and brings all of the flavors together beautifully.
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb chicken thighs, diced
- 1-14 oz can sweet potato puree
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey
- In a large pot over medium heat add the bacon and allow to render fat for about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the chicken and allow to brown, about 6 minutes.
- To the pot add the sweet potato puree and the spices, stir to combine well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and honey to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 1 hour or until it thickens to preference.