October 1, 2015
After making this soup in my kitchen today, I came to the realization that there is no way I can go back to regular chicken noodle soup ever again. Why would I?! This new version has all of the things I love from my original version with the welcome additions of pumpkin, cream and nutmeg. Does it get any better than that on a crisp fall evening? I think not. Keep it totally dairy free by using coconut cream and coconut oil in place of heavy cream and butter.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 8oz gluten free pasta of choice, cooked to al dente and drained
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil, onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Allow to cook for 15 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- To the skillet add the salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir to coat the vegetables, cook for 1 minute. Then add the broth, pumpkin and heavy cream, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add to the pot, the chicken and pasta. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
For grain free noodles we recommend Cappellos homemade pasta.
For low carb noodles spiralize some yellow squash. Stir them in at the end of cooking. (Note they will get soggy eventually in the hot water).