July 27, 2013
Without hesitation I can say that biscuits are my #1 favorite food..and well Bacon- I'd say it speaks for itself. Throw in some maple syrup which always makes bacon taste even better and you've got yourself some killer biscuits.
These babies are the perfect salty & sweet breakfast or brunch. Good luck not eating too many!
- 2 packed cup blanched .
- 1 cup potato starch (tapioca starch will work too but the results wont be quite as spectacular).
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (I use double acting)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon butter (dairy or nondairy) or shortening or bacon lard for extra bacon flavor.
- 5 crispy strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together the , potato starch, salt, baking powder, and bacon. Cut in the butter to pea-sized pieces.
- Whisk together the egg, maple syrup, and lemon juice in a separate bowl and stir into the dry mix.
- Place dough on the counter, cutting board, or sheet of parchment paper and pat down until it is an inch thick.
- Lightly dust with additional almond and potato flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Cut dough into six 3-inch wide biscuits and bake for 25 minutes
- Optional: Make a glaze by mixing together maple syrup and powdered sugar and drizzle on top!
You can make your own healthier powdered sugar by throwing the granulated sugar of choice into a coffee grinder and whizzing until powdery. (This recipe would taste great with homemade coconut palm sugar mixed with maple syrup for the icing).