In our house- few things compare with the satisfaction of a tender and succulent Roasted Chicken .
The Secret like with any tender meat- is to cook is long and under low heat.
While there isn't an ounce of southern bell in me- on occasion I get cravings for Cajun flavors, Hush Puppies, Collard Greens and Green Beans.
Today- (as the title suggest) I'm sharing a simple/easy Cajun Chicken Recipe- In the near future I will post my recipe for Gluten Free/Egg Free Bacon and Chive Hush Puppies.
I'm not providing a cooking time. My chicken was on the small side- (around 2 lbs if I remember correctly) The key is to cook the chicken in an oven set at 325 Degrees- until its internal temperature reaches 180. At that point pull it quickly out of the oven and cover it with tinfoil. Let it sit and cool for 10 minutes or so. (Cutting into it promptly will allow all the juices to come out) I cooked mine around 2 hours. If you use a larger chicken- up the spice amount and the cooking time.
1 TBS Cajun Spice Mix
2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1 TBS Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper
1 Large Onion.
- Turn On Oven set to 325 Degrees.
- Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry.
- Rub spices into the skin of the chicken. Don't be shy with the salt and pepper.
- Slice the onion into 1/2 inch rings. Place them in the bottom of a roasting pan/ or cast Iron Skillet (We went with Cast Iron) Drizzle them with a little bit of oil.
- Place the seasoned chicken on top of the layer of onions . Drizzle the chicken with an additional 1-2 TBS of Oil.
- Place into the oven. Halfway through cooking time brush the chicken again with oil.
- Remove once the Chicken's internal temperature reaches 180 Degrees.