Here's a new spin on Buffalo Chicken! In this recipe my "KFC" chicken recipe is stuffed into Peppers for a delicious week night meal! Typically buffalo chicken is served with blue cheese dressing.. something that repulses me. So I kept it simple and just used a mix of cheddar cheeses. If you love the classic version use some blue cheese crumbles in the recipe instead!
I kept the recipe simple by just using breaded chicken and cheese..however feel free to add some sauteed onions and or cauliflower "rice"! If you want to keep things REALLY simply just use un-breaded chicken and then drizzle some hot sauce and butter on top in the peppers. (I like using a 50/50 mix of the hot sauce and butter)
Regular or nondairy cheese can be used! Just pay close attention to the directions below as the way your prep dairy vs. nondairy is slightly different.
- 4 Peppers
- 1 lb Chicken Thighs
- 1 1/4 Cups Cheese Blend (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (I use Franks Original Hot Sauce)
- 5 Tbs Butter (Dairy or Nondairy)
- 1 Tbs Starch (Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
- 5 Tbs Milk (Dairy or Nondairy)
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca (Or Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
- 1/2 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.In a microwave safe bowl combine wet mixture ingredients and heat until thickened in the microwave (1-2 minutes) or on the stove top in a sauce pan. If using the microwave whisk liberally as soon as you remove the bowl. If using the sauce pan- whisk continually while it thickens.
- In another bowl combine breading ingredients.
- Drop chicken strips into wet mixture and then heavily dredge in breading mixture; place on foil lined baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken strips have been coated. Drizzle chicken with a little oil.
- Place chicken in oven for 35-40 minutes; chicken will be golden brown and cooked through!
- While chicken is cooking, clean and prepare 4 peppers- by removing the seeds and cutting off the top of each pepper. Wrap peppers in aluminum foil.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, decrease the oven temperature to 350, and place the wrapped peppers in the oven for 25 minutes. Let the chicken cool.
- Once the chicken is cooled slightly, rough chop into bite sized pieces.
- Take peppers out of the oven and evenly distribute the chicken and shredded cheese into the four peppers.
- For non-dairy cheese, bake at 350, until melty. If using regular cheese - roast until cheese is melted and is starting to brown.