Who doesn't love bacon + tomatoes + lettuce? I make and love BLT salads regularly which was the starting point for this recipe. It crossed my mind one day to add some additional fresh flavors like minced garlic, scallions, and fresh parsley and to chop the ingredients up small. Next thing I knew I had this delicious salsa in front of me just begging for some chips. A salsa that my husband went crazy for and has made several times on his own since.
This salsa tastes best fresh ( naturally as the bacon sits in the salad it will get soggy ). If you need to make this ahead prepare the salad and then make and store the crispy bacon in a separate container. Add it to the salsa when serving.
If your an avocado lover, try adding some of that to the salsa too!
If you are in the mood for salad- feel to just cut your cabbage into larger pieces, and to use grape tomatoes instead.
- 4 cups tomatoes, diced (I used campari, but you can use any variety!)
- 4 cups finely chopped green cabbage.
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup scallions chopped (optional)
- 1 12 oz. pack of uncured bacon cooked to crisp. and chopped.
- half a jalapeno for mild salsa or a whole one for a little kick. (seeds removed)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley finely minced.
- 7 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 2 - 2 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons of White Wine Vinegar (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon strips until crispy and set aside.
- Chop all of the ingredients into bite sized pieces and combine in a bowl. Mix in the parsley, garlic powder, and salt and pepper and enjoy!