Hey Guys! I've got another recipe for you
from my dearest Kitchen Assistant Sarah!
It's Beer Battered Fish Fry!!
I don't do Seafood..but Sarah has super powers when it comes with making it! I'm sure you'll love her rendition of a Gluten/Grain/Egg Free Fish Fry!
There's a lot to be said about a hot, freshly fried, slightly spicy, breaded piece of fish.
In the kitchen today I had the pleasure of re-creating this traditional Beer Battered Fish Fry recipe. You'll notice that there are two options here; You can make this fish fry with or without gluten free beer depending on your preferences!
And my version of Beer Battered Fish Fry..isn't actually fried! But you could never tell after taking a crispy crunchy bite!
- 2 Haddock Fillets
- 2 Tbs Starch (Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
- 1 1/3 Cup GF Beer of choice (I used NGB Gluten Free Lager)* OR Milk (Dairy or Nondairy)
- 10 Tbs Butter (Dairy or Nondairy)
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca (Or Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
- 1/2 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl combine starch and beer, mix until there are no clumps of starch.
- Heat a pan over low heat with the butter, once it melts, add in starch-beer mixture.
- Whisk continually until it thickens.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a pie pan or shallow dish, long enough to fit fish fillets.
- While this mixture cools slightly, in another bowl combine breading ingredients.
- Drop fillets into wet mixture and then heavily dredge in breading mixture; remove from breading, place in the wet mixture and then into the breading.
- Repeat until both fillets have been coated twice.
- Place on foil lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle fish with a little oil.
- Place fish in oven for 20 minutes.
- Broil on high for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
*If you do not want to make beer battered fish fry, sub in 1/2 cup red hot, and 1/3 cup milk in place of the beer. If the wet mixture sits out it will begin to thicken, if this happens you can add 2-3 TBSP Beer.
- 1/2 cup plus 3 TBSP Mayo (Vegan Mayo works great too!)
- 1 TBSP White wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP Capers
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP Pickles, diced
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, EXCEPT for the pickles, process until smooth.
- Stir in Pickles.