These might be one of my favorite created recipes to date. They were outstanding. The Bacon and Sage flavor took these popovers over the top. I must warn you- they are addicting. It will be extremely hard to just have one. The fact that they are light only encourages one to eat.. the entire pan. (yes- I did this.. I felt some guilt- but it just kind of happened- I did manage to reserve one for my husband to taste test) He was equally impressed with their flavor. Needless to say these will be a regular thing in our house from here on out.
I created this recipe with Brunch in mind- however they would work excellent served alongside just about any lunch or dinner. Use these in place of dinner rolls or serve them alone with a fun beverage. In the future I plan to serve them alongside red meat, roasted vegetables and a glass of wine.
Popovers are simple to make as long as you follow a few cardinal rules:
ALWAYS preheat your oiled popover pan or muffin tray.
Use a blender to make the batter.
Do not open the oven during the cooking time as this could cause your popovers to fall.
Serve the Popovers HOT fresh out of the oven!
Lets get started..
4 Large Organic Eggs at room temp.
3 TBS Of the reserved Bacon Fat
(make sure the fat is not too hot- give it a chance to cool after making the bacon)
1 1/4 cup of Lukewarm (nondairy) Milk
1/2 Cup Sweet Rice Flour
1/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
1/4 Cup Potato Starch Flour
1/4 Tsp Xanthan Gum (or guar gum for corn free)
1/2 Tsp Salt
5 Thick Slices Cooked and Finely Crumbled Bacon
1 Tsp. Sage (dried or fresh minced)
- Cook the 5 thick slices of bacon until they are well done and can be crumbled. Reserve the bacon fat that has accumulated in the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees. Oil a muffin tin or a popover pan. Place the pan in the oven and leave it in there until you are ready to make the popovers.
- To a blender add the Eggs, Cooled Bacon Fat, Warm Milk, Sweet Rice Flour, Tapioca, Potato Starch Flour, Xanthan, Salt and Sage.
- Turn the blender on and process the mixture for a minute. Making sure to scrape down the sides with a spatula so that everything is incorporated.
- Add to the blender the finely crumbled bacon and turn the blender on briefly to incorporate it. It is important that the bacon is finely crumbled so that does not fall to the bottom of the popovers when they are baked.
- remove the hot pan from the oven and promptly poor the batter into the cups- filling 3/4 of the way to the top. This recipe will make between 6-8 popovers.
- Place in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes. (watch as the popovers begin to puff up) After 20 minutes turn the oven down to 350 degrees and reset the timer for another 20 minutes. Remember- DO NOT open the oven during this time.
- Remove the popovers from the oven and serve promptly. They taste outstanding with a dab of butter in the center.
Your finished popovers will have a beautiful crispy crust and will be slightly moist with big air pockets on the inside! I'm pleased to share this recipe with this months ‘Go Ahead Honey its Gluten Free” – hosted by my sweet friend Maggie of She Let them Eat Cake!
Hope you love these as much as we did!